Welcome to ToTG!



October 13, 2015

Follow the Money

Note:  The following is meant to be a mini-rant and a bit of trivia but is also a semi-snarky review of the new Fox series Minority Report based upon the 2002 hit movie.

I was torturing myself watching the fourth and latest episode of Minority Report last night when I noticed something strange;  when a man is attempting to buy some fake I.D.,he plops some banded currency on the table, then reluctantly throws down some more on top of it.  The scene went by fairly quickly, but not so quick that I couldn't make out the face on the $500 bill:

(click for larger view)


Yes, that's President Obama on the bill and it proved to me that Hollywood is indeed full of leftist partisan hacks.  Andrew Jackson notwithstanding, I've always thought the portraits on American currency were intended to be of good Presidents or at least of people who made a significant contribution to society.

Why Obama?  If he deserves to be on a bill, then - in all fairness - so does G.W. Bush;  after all, both of them certainly spent enough money, printed more than their fair share out of thin air, too.

Be that as it may...and I certainly didn't mean for this to turn into a political rant...I believe that's the last episode I will watch.  If Minority Report had been anything but a ubiquitous, poorly done police procedural show (albeit set in the future) I would have given it a proper review. 

My recommendation?  If you're watching it now and enjoying it, please be my guest and continue doing so.  I just don't think it's going to last long, that's all.  What's wrong with it?  Oh, if I only had enough time and space to list the things.  I had high hopes for the series, but IMHO (and according to the ratings), it doesn't have much of a future, especially considering how many Obama dollars much money it's got to be losing. The show is visually appealing, the special effects are pretty good and the acting isn't horrible...but not even the gorgeous Meagan Good can save this series.  The potential was there but it was wasted.

On a related note:  I noticed a woman on the hundred dollar bill, so I took a screen shot, rotated it to get a better view but still didn't recognize the face, but did see it was Australian currency. (or maybe American money honoring Australian notables)  Thanks to the world-wide interwebs, I was able to find out the woman was Dame Nellie Melba, a noted opera singer of the late Victorian era and the early 20th century. I had never heard of her.


My only hope is that if the world lasts to the time this TV series takes place, we'll honor folks like her much more than we do those such as President Obama.

No comments: